OUR CHURCH HISTORY
Cottonwood Baptist Church was organized in 1875. The community was frequented by Comanche Indians in search of cattle and horses. It was the year the Texas Legislature carved Somervell County out of Hood County. There was an estimated total county-wide population of 600 by 1880. Six of them -- Daniel Shipman, Eliza McElmurry Shipman, Sarah Shipman, Solomon Sutton, Sally Sutton and B.M. Mc Faddin -- founded Friendship Missionary Baptist Church of Christ, now known as Cottonwood Baptist Church. The church was received into the fellowship of the Bosque River Association in 1876 with eight members. By 1880, it had reached 60 members. When the Paluxy Association was formed in 1880, the church affiliated with the new association.